OpenMAX IL for h.264 stream

doug4350
4kOpen Owner: No
OpenMAX IL for h.264 stream

Post by doug4350 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi 4kopen folks,

I'm porting a webcam streaming app from a real Raspberry Pi with Raspbian to the 4kopen platform and could use some help getting pointed in the right direction.

I found on the bitbucket site repo's for omx and omxse and some other video streaming related projects. When I cloned the omx repo and tried to build it, it was complaining about missing OMX_Core.h, which is part of the OpenMAX library. Is there a 4kopen specific package that accesses the hw accelerators with the necessary libs, .so's and includes?

Is there a simpler alternative since OpenMAX can quickly turn into a career?
I'm able to initiate an h.264 video stream from an ethernet camera on the board now and need to feed it to a hw based decoder to start. Once that is done, I will need to initiate an encoder to transcode the decoded stream at random times for random durations. I'm able to do all this now on the Pi.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
- Doug

"Nothing is impossible if ImPossible"

Pete
4kOpen Owner: Yes
Re: OpenMAX IL for h.264 stream

Post by Pete » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi Doug,

Ok so there are open max plugins, though I'm not sure this is the right way to go.

Gstreamer is the supported interface we are using, for playback, have you seen the wiki for playing back.

As for the webcam, but it's likely the webcam doesn't have the drivers, we are currently just enabling as many of the drivers as possible, do you have the webcam pci or usb id? (you can use lsusb or lspci to find this out).

For streaming from the webcam again there should be a gstreamer plugin to drive it.

Cheers
Pete

doug4350
4kOpen Owner: No

Post by doug4350 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply.
I've made some progress with the omx and omxse packages from bitbucket & starting to figure my way around this implementation.

The webcam I'm using is rtsp via ethernet/wifi, so driver's aren't a problem - it's all socket based and I'm using FFMPEG to initiate the rtsp stream from the cam to feed the decoder component.

I'm able to create the decoder component & change states to loaded.
I ran into a problem with my test program transitioning states to idle because the ST OMX implementation is complaining that it doesn't support NON tunnel'ed mode. I'm only using the decoder right now, so there is no need for tunneling. I'll poke around some more to see what jumps out.

If it's simple enough to switch to Gstreamer, I'm willing to give it a go. I need to be able to access decoded raw video frames to process motion vectors and other fun computer vision stuff as well as transcode and re-stream out at random times. That is if Gstreamer can do that, which I'm pretty sure it can.

Take care,
- Doug

"Nothing is impossible if ImPossible"

Pete
4kOpen Owner: Yes

Post by Pete » Fri May 03, 2019 11:46 am

doug4350 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 am
I'm able to create the decoder component & change states to loaded.
I ran into a problem with my test program transitioning states to idle because the ST OMX implementation is complaining that it doesn't support NON tunnel'ed mode. I'm only using the decoder right now, so there is no need for tunneling. I'll poke around some more to see what jumps out.
Ok so I doubt non-tunneled mode will work, as the backend probably uses the player which is a stream based decoder.

If you want a frame based decoder you might have to use MME directly...